The Tank – Küllez

kullez_black

.

Küllez.
Küllez by Team Nightfall
Climbing.
Küllez is able to drive over ledges and stairs and up inclined planes.
Suspension.
The suspension system is based off of both suspension systems of the Ripsaw Tank and the DARPA tank.
Treads.
We went through several iterations of robot treads - Battlebot, iRobot, Robot Tanks - and finally decided on a tank tread linkage system.
The Climb.
Moments before the Küllez ripped up a grassy incline.
Custom.
Custom machined and researched parts.
Carbon Fiber.
Custom carbon fiber bottom plate for extra protection for our components.
Design.
Ripsaw and DARPA inspired suspension system, custom machined and surface finished parts, thermoformed and thick-coated top cover, carbon fiber bottom, radio controlled.

.

Küllez was designed for the IPD 501: Integrated CAD/CAM/CAE class. Our task for the assignment was to conceptualize, design, manufacture, and test a small remote-controlled ground vehicle. My team was comprised of 9 extremely bright mechanical engineers and even though we were all MEAM majors, we all had a wide range of skill sets. Whether it be research, design, machining, or FEA analysis, we all meshed together to form Team Nightfall.

The project spanned over a 5 week period where we were required to manage the entire assignment as a team. We completed design, engineering, analysis, and research to figure out exact measurement and dimensions of the tank, as well as what materials and parts to purchase to include in the tank design. In addition, we created and sent in several bill of materials and would participate in design reviews and petition for said materials. Furthermore, we created every single part of the tank – except the electronics – and custom designed, machined, and molded each and every part.

.

Initial Design Drawing
I sketched out an isometric view of a design I was thinking of. The rest of the project was loosely based off of this aesthetic.
Machining the Arms
I designed the arms and after design review and a few edits with the help of my team, we machined all of our arms out of a single block of aluminum.
Finishing Touches
After flipping the part, we remachined the other side so the arms could release from the aluminum block.
The Arm after Sandblasting
This arm connects to the wheel and the shock absorber.
Thermo-form Positive (Back)
Other teammates designed and machined the positive mold for the top cover. Along with another teammate, my job was to do the finishing touches on the mold to be ready for thermoforming - sealing, wax, bondo, sanding.
Thermoform Process
Set-up for our thermoforming.
Thermoformed Back
Our trial piece for the thermoforming
Machining the 80-20 frame
Precision drilling and milling
The Frame Zeroing
Zeroing the tool in a custom set up for over-extended stock.
Frame Miling
About to mill out a slot for ease of fastening.
Wheels
Me and another teammate sandblasted the parts for the tank.
The Arrangement
We sandblasted a lot of items.
The Beginning of Assembly...
At the dark hours of the night... we begin assembling
TherMarked Team Logo
Team Nightfall for the win!
Left-side Arm Assembly
Partial assembly of the left side of the tank.
First Assembly!
Preliminary assembly of the tank - no top cover or batteries yet.
Testing on Stairs
Testing the weight and damping power on the arms.

.

.

.

The Team:

.

_MG_8876_2



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *